Following the Prime Ministers announcement on Sunday evening and the further clarification on outdoor recreation and rules on social distancing provided by the Government on Monday the Executive Committee is now able to provide the following update.
We are delighted to announce that golf can once again be played from Wednesday 13th May, albeit only in a limited capacity initially.
Under the new government guidelines, the following restrictions will apply to golf at Great Yarmouth and Caister Golf Club:
Before the Round:
• Members will be asked to book tee times in advance either via the BRS system or through the club professional. All players names must be entered on the booking.
• Bookings can be made 4 weeks in advance. The course will be open for general play 7 days per week for all members. This will be kept under review and amended if and as required going forward.
• Members will not be permitted to turn up and play without a booking. Play will be from the 1st tee only and there will be intervals of 10 minutes.
• The pro shop will be open from 8.00am every morning. A one in one out policy will apply.
• Toilet facilities will be open but changing rooms and the club house will remain closed. The catering facilities and bar will remain closed until further notice.
• Please remove any items you require from your locker as soon as possible.
• Members will be asked to arrive no more than 10 minutes before their tee off time.
• The practice field, practice nets and putting green will be closed.
• Trolleys and Buggies will be available for hire. Buggies will be strictly 1 person per buggy.
During the Round:
• Please make sure you tee off at your exact time so as to keep our social distancing.
• Individual members are permitted to play golf on their own.
• Two-balls comprising of individuals from different households will be permitted to play.
• Members of the same household will be permitted to play in two, three or four-balls.
• Social distancing rules must be strictly adhered to on and off the course at all times.
• There will be no rakes in the bunkers, please make a special effort to smooth the sand with your club or feet.
• Flags will be left in but must never be touched.
• The hole liner cup will be turned upside down so only half the ball falls below the surface making it easier to retrieve the ball.
• All ball washers will remain covered and out of use.
After the Round:
• Social distancing is still important after the round and we ask that all members leave as soon as possible once play is finished. There are to be no gatherings in the car park or around the clubhouse.
All competitions will be suspended until further notice. As and when restrictions are lifted we will work on reinstating competitions. Obviously, we will follow the Government guidance as to how and when this can happen.
At the start of the lockdown it was necessary for us to take some tough decisions to protect the financial stability of the golf club. This included placing most of the green keeping staff on furlough. This has obviously had an impact on the condition of the course and the way it is presented to members. We have taken the decision to bring the green keeping staff back to work in a controlled and measured way to make sure the club is protected financially. We ask that all members keep this in mind when we open again from Wednesday 13th May.
Additionally, we would like to reassure you that the course will only be open to members of Great Yarmouth & Caister golf club. There will be a time when we are able to welcome visitors back to our course but that will only happen when we are satisfied that our own members are able to play as much and as often as they wish to.
We hope that this information provides sufficient clarity to enable our members to return to the golf course in a manageable, safe and secure manner.
If you have any questions in connection with the above, please do not hesitate to contact one of us. In the meantime, please stay safe and hopefully we will see you all soon.